Amongst the Diocesan Records of St. Asaph deposited at the National Library of Wales at Aberystwyth is a Faculty Book entitled ‘Nonconformist Meeting Houses, 1770-1828’. The first entry for Mold reads as follows :
‘To the Right Reverend Father in God Lewis, by divine permission Lord Bishop Saint Asaph. We whose Names are here under written do humbly certify, that all that Room or Building together with the dwelling house thereunto adjoining situated lying and being near Ponlerwyl in the Parish of Mold in the County of Flint within the Diocese of Saint Asaph aforesaid now in the holding or Occupation of Sarah Jones Widow is set apart for the Worship of Almighty
God, and that such Worship will or is intended to be performed therein by his Majesty’s protestant dissenting Subjects by Virtue or in pursuance of an Act of Parliament made in the first year of the reign of their late Majesties King William and Queen Mary  intitled “An Act for exempting their Majesties protestant Subjects dissenting from the Church of England, from the Penalties of certain Laws.” As Witness our Hands the 24th Day of October in the Year of our Lord One Thousand seven Hundred and Ninety five.
Thos. Jones J.C.Williams The Mark of Sarah Jones
George Foulkes Edwd Jones Elizabeth Lloyd
Registered 24th October 1795.’ [ NLW, SA/FB/2/125. ]
This is where the Welsh language Calvinistic Methodists of Bethesda Chapel, New Street., began their cause in Mold. For the history see Rhiain Phillips, YDyfroedd Byw (Yr Wyddgrug 1987).
Copyright of articles
published in Ystrad Alun lies with the Mold Civic Society and individual contributors.
Contents and opinions expressed therein
remains the responsibility of individual authors.