Honouring of Crimean Veteran

contributed by Rhiannon E Griffiths.

According to the County Herald ( 31 July 1908 ) the above took place on Tuesday at Garden Place, Mold when Charles Owens died; he had survived the Crimean Campaign, having taken part in the Siege of Sebastopol during the terrible winter 1854-5. The following week the same paper (7 August ) recorded thus:



‘Another of that continually lessening band of Crimean Veterans has been laid to his long rest’. In our last issue we recorded the death of Charles Owens, aged 77 years of Garden Place, Mold, who went through the Crimean Campaign and took part in the siege of Sebastopol. * The funeral took place on Friday afternoon, the deceased being recorded ‘full military honours.’ Captain Fairclough, Brigade Major of the Liverpool Brigade of the Territorial forces, who resides in Mold, at once, made arrangements for a military funeral and his efforts were ably seconded by local officers and friends. The feeling of respect for the army and navy, has always been prominent in Mold, and the brilliant defenders of our country’s interest is very much alive in our midst. A large concourse of spectators assembled, both along the route of the funeral procession, and at the Cemetery. A firing party and the band from the Wrexham depot of the Royal Welsh Fuseliers took a leading part in the funeral obsequies Colour Sergeant Blondon being in charge. The procession was lead by a detachment of the Flintshire Police Force under Superintendent J Ivor Davies (Mold) and then followed by the band, which played The Death March in ‘Saul’ and at intervals Chopin’s Funeral March. They were accompanied by a detachment of the RWF who acted as the firing party. The coffin was mounted on an open wagon and was covered with the Union Jack. Relatives and friends followed and then came members of Mold Fire Brigade in uniform. Major Webber (Chief Constable), who in past years has taken an interest in the welfare of the deceased and the Rev. John Owen joined the procession. Among those who brought up the rear were a number of military officers in uniform, including Major Fairclough, Lieu-Col. Lloyd (Hafod), Major B E Phillips, Capt Alleston ( Argoed House ), Major T M Keene ( who commanded the Welsh volunteer contingent in the South African War ), Sergeant-Major Brand of the Yeomanry and Sergeant Bevan ( representing the local company who were in camp at Conway.) On each side of the vehicle conveying the coffn were members of a party of naval men from H.M.S. Eagle of Liverpool who officiated as bearers. The procession went by way of New Street and Chester Street, to the English Presbyterian Chapel, where a short service was conducted by Rev. John Owen. In his Prayer the rev. gentleman said their departed friend had been given length of days and the Almighty had saved him from many dangers and had brought him back to his own country, where he had been permitted to spend the evening of his life in happy ease, and in the midst of the comforts and necessaries of life. They commended to the father of all, the widow of the deceased and trusted that His protecting care would attend her and help to bear the great loss she has sustained. The procession then returned along Chester Street and via Wrexham Street to the Cemetery, where the final ceremony was carried out in military fashion. After the coffin had been lowered, three volleys were fired over the grave, and the bugling of The Last Post announced that the ceremony was at an end, and that the deceased soldier had been lain to rest with all the honour it is possible to record by the community of a country town. ‘

* During the terrible ‘Ukranian’ winter of 1854-5.

Copyright of articles
published in Ystrad Alun lies with the Mold Civic Society and individual contributors.
Contents and opinions expressed therein
remains the responsibility of individual authors.